Monday, January 10, 2011

Putty

The drive home from school today was a test. It was only a test, not the real thing. In the event of the real thing, we would have been given instructions on what to do next. In this case, no instructions were given.

Tiger must have had a rough day, possibly a napless day. He screamed nearly the entire way home (30 minutes). I HAVE TO PEE. I WANT MY ORANGE. I WANT MY BOOKS. I'M STANDING. I DON'T WANT TO SIT IN THIS CHAIR. I WANT TO GET OUT. I WANT TO GO HOME. Full force, with tears, at full volume, for the full ride. It was amazing. It gave me time to reflect.

When these events occur, one of two things happen for me. Either I get really irritated and ignore him or I just ignore him. Tonight I was able to avoid irritation and just ignore. I reflected on how much I have grown in the last 6 months. My travel companion asked me what I thought was the cause for all this growth... well, parenting two small children alone, working full time, and having your hand "forced" will pretty much do it. I had a character building 2010. I feel like a hunk of silly putty that has been taken from its container. Previously, it was too cold to do anything with. But after playing with it, squishing it around in my fingers, working it out, you can do a lot of cool stuff with it. That's me -- one of God's hunks of silly putty. I just hope that I am more supple now to do whatever it is He has sent me here to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment